Approved and validated by the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH).
The Managing Safely for Construction Managers course syllabus includes a range of health and safety topics considered to be essential core knowledge for those people appointed to a management role in a construction environment. Course previously knows as IOSH Managing Safely for Construction Managers.
This course is aimed to give managers the knowledge and skills necessary to enable them to recognise the hazards likely to be present in the construction industry and the actions needed to control and manage them.
Objectives / On completion of the course the participant will be able to:
• Describe their health and safety responsibilities as a manager in the construction industry
• Define what is meant by ‘risk’ & risk assessment in managing safely
• Identify appropriate risk control methods
• Carry out an accident investigation
• Be able to measure H&S performance
• Recognise the impact of the construction industry on the environment
• Describe how pollution and waste can be controlled
This certificate is specifically designed for:
• Employers and Self Employed professionals in the construction Industry,
• Designers e.g. architects or anyone who designs any part of a construction project e.g. kitchens, electric installation, plumbing design
• Project managers who has overall responsibility for construction projects
• Site engineers
• Safety officers looking for specific information in relation to construction safety
• Site managers and project supervisors or anyone with responsibility of other employees on a construction site
• Company’s looking for 3rd party health and safety accreditation e.g. Safe-T-Cert.
Managers and senior site staff who are required to manage efficiently and effectively in compliance with both their organisation’s safety policy and current health and safety legislation.
This course qualification can be used as a stepping stone for those looking to take a greater part in health and safety on the construction site.
Safety Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations 2013
Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005
Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007 - 2016
Course includes safety management, reactive monitoring risk assessment and risk control, active monitoring, review and audit, health and safety legislation, hazards - general and organisation specific option. Managing Safely for Construction Managers comprises of eight core modules requiring a total direct input period of at least 28 hours including assessment time.
Module 1: Introducing Managing Safely in Construction
Module 2: Assessing Risks in Construction
Module 3: Controlling Risks in Construction
Module 4: Understanding your Responsibilities
Module 5: Identifying Hazards in Construction
Module 6: Investigating Accidents and Incidents in Construction
Module 7: Measuring Performance in Construction
• PowerPoint Presentation
• Practical Demonstrations
• Question & Answer Sessions
• Visual Aids
• Theory Assessment
An IOSH Managing Safely for Construction Managers Certificate is awarded to all those who attend the course and successfully complete written and practical assessments.
Candidates are assessed by way of written assessment consisting of 22 questions and must complete a practical project which consists of a risk assessment on the candidate's work environment.
If you are unemployed and seeking work, you may be eligible for funding from the Department of Social Protection to cover all, or some of the costs of your training. (means depending, you may be entitled to up to €1000).
Candidates who wish to avail of this must make an appointment with a case officer in their local Intreo office, discuss their case & apply for funding. The candidate will receive a funding application form which they must sign & bring/post to us. Upon completion, we will send this back to the case officer who will then review the funding application.
Upon receiving funding approval in the post from the Department of Social Protection, candidates must then call us to reserve a place on our course. We cannot confirm a place on our course until funding approval is gained.
If employed within the private sector or are a sole trader, there may also be funding assistance available through Skillnet funding. Skillnet may fund a percentage of your training, if eligible. For more details on this, please contact us on 074 91 27786.