This course will provide delegates with the knowledge and skills to correctly pre-assess, lift, carry and lower objects. It will identify best health and safety practice.
Manual Handling is the transporting or supporting of a load that involves lifting, putting down, pushing pulling, carrying or moving.
Many people hurt their back, arms, hands or feet lifting everyday loads, not just lifting heavy objects.
To provide the knowledge and skills for safe Manual Handling
Objectives / On completion of the course the participant will be able to
• Carry out a manual handling risk assessment
• Perform the correct steps of safe manual handling
• Perform specific Manual Handling tasks competently to a recognised standard
• Identify ergonomic factors associated with their work activities
Employees who are required to lift objects as part of their work.
Relevant H&S Legislation
Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005
Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007 - 2016
To obtain certification participants must be able to demonstrate a proper lifting technique of an object.
A good understanding of oral English is required.
• Anatomy of the spine
• Fitness and flexibility requirements
• Specific hazards relevant to the workplace
• Manual Handling Risk Assessment
• Procedures for dealing with unfamiliar loads
• Practical Training & Techniques (lifting and handling of goods and materials).
• Ergonomics: Practical application to workplace environment
• Legislation (SHWW Act 2005, Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007, Part 2, Chapter 4)
Method Of Delivery
• Powerpoint presentation
• Practical demonstration & assessment
• Theory assessment
Participants are required to complete a short multiple choice assessment & practical lifting demonstration.
Safetech certification is provided on successful completion of the course.
Certificates are valid for 3 years