This half-day course is designed to provide the course participants with the appropriate knowledge of the hazards and dangers of working with Abrasive Wheels. It also provides the participants with the expertise required to mount an abrasive wheel.
To provide the participant with the knowledge and skills to correctly and safely mount an abrasive wheel.
Objectives / On completion of the course the participant will be able to
• Identify the risks of using abrasive wheels
• List the legal requirements of working with Abrasive Wheels
• Select the appropriate wheel or cutting disc for the job
• To store and handle abrasive wheels correctly
• Correctly mount and use an Abrasive Wheel
• Understand the function of Abrasive Wheel Equipment (fixed & portable)
This course is designed for employees who have responsibility for or are required to change abrasive wheels e.g. on angle grinders, con saws, chop saws.
An employer shall ensure that an employee does not mount an abrasive wheel unless the employee has been authorised by the employer to mount the abrasive wheel and that employer shall not authorise an employee unless that employee (a) has been trained and instructed and (b) is competent to mount the wheel.
Relevant Health & Safety Legislation
Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005
Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007 - 2016
• Abrasive Wheel Regulations
• Identify the hazards of working with Abrasive Wheels
• Evaluate the causes of abrasive wheel accidents
• Define the method of selecting the correct wheel for the job
• Inspection and testing of the abrasive wheel
• Guarding of the grinding and cutting operations
• Dressing and truing the wheel
• Functions of the components, flanges, blotters etc.
• Differences between grinding and cutting operations
Method of Delivery
• Classroom training
• Powerpoint Presentation
• Samples of Personal Protective Equipment
• Practical demonstration
Full Safetech certification of attendance is provided on successful completion of the course
Participants are required to complete a short multiple choice assessment & practical demonstration involving the fitting of an abrasive wheel